Nursing | Nursing History

Trinity Nursing History


During the early 1920s, Lutheran pastors from across the Northwest Territory gathered in Minot, ND, to sketch out plans for a hospital “Consecrated to Christian Service in the Name of The Father, Son and Holy Ghost,” hence, the name “Trinity.” In 1922, the Trinity Hospital Association was formed and within weeks ground was broken for a 30-bed hospital unit, the first of four such units to be constructed over the course of a decade. Below is a timeline of Trinity Health Nursing Program!

1922
The Trinity Hospital Association was formed and within weeks ground was broken for a 30-bed hospital unit.

A fundraiser took place where $60,000 was raised in order to help fund the construction that would later serve as the foundation for Trinity Hospital.


1923
Trinity Hospital School of Nursing was approved by the North Dakota Board of Nursing


1925
First graduating class of 6 students form the Trinity Hospital School of Nursing.

First baby born at Trinity Hospital: she was a class of 1944 Trinity Hospital School of Nursing graduate


1932 (November)
Hourly wages were $3 for an 8 hour day and $4 for a 12 hour day


1944
Induction service for 150 Cadet Nurses administered by the United States Surgeon General creating the Cadet Training Program. There were two graduating classes each year from Trinity Hospital School of Nursing.


1945
Student Nurses began affiliation with Cook County Hospital in Chicago for psychiatric, communicable disease and neurological disease training


1948
Trinity Homes opens as a 24-hour care facility


1950s
Saw a major addition and extensive modernization of all facilities


1960
Trinity started sending students to the State Hospital in Jamestown instead of Cook County Hospital in Chicago for psychiatric, communicable disease and neurological disease training


1970
Nursing class is the largest in Trinity's history (having accepted the transfer of students from St. Andrew's Hospital School of Nursing, Bottineau). This class included the first male Graduate of Trinity Hospital School of Nursing.


1980s
Saw another major expansion of the hospital


1981
Established by Trinity Medical Center and St. Joseph’s Hospital as a non-profit Basic Life Support (BLS) Ambulance Service

Practical Nursing Program began, but closed in 1987


1988
Trinity School of Nursing closes it doors, ending 65 years of service in education. Since its beginning Trinity Hospital School of Nursing graduated a total of 1,783 students


1990s
Were characterized by a steady expansion of services and facilities.

Trinity Homes added a large, multi-level commons area to its nursing home.

The old Northwest Bible College and a portion of Town and Country Center were purchased to make way for physician offices and a mental health campus.


1997
Trinity has been in Williston since about 1997, when long-time providers at Western Dakota Medical Center joined Trinity to create Trinity Community Clinic-Western Dakota. The region’s eye care provider, Williston Basin Eye Center, also joined Trinity at about the same time, creating Trinity Regional Eyecare – Western Dakota.


1999
Trinity Medical Center changed its name to Trinity Health.

Trinity CancerCare Center was built adjacent to Health Center-Town & Country


2001
Trinity Health completed a historic transaction uniting the staff, services and facilities of UniMed Medical Center, Medical Arts Clinic and Kenmare Community Hospital under the banner of Trinity Health.


2008
Trinity Guest House opened.


2012
Trinity Health Western Dakota, Williston, opened.

Key Care Medical moved to its new location on 16th Street